Clouds and rain will help keep temperatures in check

This post was originally published on link to post

NEW ORLEANS — WWL-TV Meteorologist Chris Franklin

Another day of mostly cloudy to overcast skies, scattered to numerous showers and storms, and a very tropical feel. Moisture from a tropical wave is still surging into the area, however most should remain across western portions of the viewing area. Not to say other areas won’t see rain, but the focus for any real flooding potential is south and west of a line from Baton Rouge to New Orleans. Expect around 60% coverage today, greater toward Morgan City. The combination of the tropical wave and an upper trough will increase coverage to 70-80% tomorrow with the entire area being highlighted for a low-end risk of flooding rains. I think the flood risk will be more isolated as opposed to widespread concerns. Rain chances hover around 60% on Monday before a more normal 40% Tuesday and Wednesday. Models still indicate a cold front moving through sometime on Thursday bringing with it slightly less humid air on Friday! 

In the tropics: The wave in the Gulf has no real potential for development, although the NHC no highlighting what had looked to be the case yesterday. What started as an upper low ahas translated down to the surface. however, that window of opportunity for development is small and thaey are only giving it a 10% chance over the next few days. After that it will be over land. Elsewhere things are starting to heat up. Invest 98 is just off the coast of Miami in the Atlantic. The NHC is giving this wave a 70-90% chance for development in the coming days, but will remain off the US East coast. In the central Atlantic, Invest 99 is now Tropical Depression 5. Forecast strengthens it to Tropical Storm Dorian tomorrow with a track taking it near the islands by early next week and both the GFS and Euro dissipate the system once in the Caribbean, although it could become a hurricane before that happens. 

Click here for the full Tropical Weather Update.

► Get breaking news from your neighborhood delivered directly to you by downloading the FREE WWL-TV News app now in the IOS App Store or Google Play.



Mostly cloudy skies. 60% chance for showers and storms. Some heavy downpours possible, especially south and west. High: 89. Winds: S 5-10.


Most rain ending. Mostly cloudy skies. Mild and muggy. Low: 78. Winds: Light.


Cloudy skies. 70-80% chance for numerous showers and storms. Some heavy downpours possible. High: 87.


60% chance for scattered showers and storms. Low: 76. High: 88.


Partly to mostly cloudy skies. 40% chance for scattered showers and thunderstorms. Hot. Low: 76. High: 91.


Partly to mostly cloudy skies. 40% chance for scattered showers and thunderstorms. Hot. Low: 78. High: 92.


Partly cloudy skies. 20% chance for an isolated shower. Low: 78. High: 89.


Partly cloudy. Less humid and dry! Low: 73. High: 88.

► Stay in the know with Southeast Louisiana’s top stories to start your workday. Sign up for the 4 Things to Know email newsletter to get headlines delivered to your inbox. Click here to sign up!


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here