NEW ORLEANS — Several New Orleans area universities are suspended in-person classes in favor of online instruction to avoid the spread of the COVID-19, the potentially deadly disease caused by the coronavirus.
Below is a list of school changes and cancellations due to the spread of the coronavirus. This is not an exhaustive list. If in doubt, check directly with the school or university for the most up-to-date information.
To add your school to the list, email the WWL-TV newsroom at firstname.lastname@example.org
Starting Monday, March 16, classes at all K-12 public schools across the state have been halted until April 13.
All schools in the New Orleans Archdiocese and private schools will follow Governor Edwards’ directions for public schools.
Universities and Colleges
- Delgado College: All classes will move online starting March 19. Midterm exams will continue this week, then there will be no classes on March 17 and 18 before switching online. All libraries and learning labs will remain open.
- Dillard University: All classes will move online starting March 23. Students will have the option to leave campus for the remainder of the semester.
- University of Holy Cross: All in-person classes will move online starting March 19. until further notice.
- Louisiana State University: Classes to go online starting March 30. No classes at all for next two weeks as teachers prepare online instruction.
- Loyola University New Orleans: All classes will move to online instruction starting March 16.
- Nicholls State University: No changes at this time, but administrators are monitoring information regarding the outbreak.
- Southeastern Louisiana University: Campus remains open but many larger events are being canceled or evaluated.
- Southern University New Orleans: Starting March 23, remote instruction through the end of the semester
- Tulane University: All classes will move online starting March 23. Friday, March 13 is the last day of in-person classes for the semester.
- University of New Orleans: All classes will move online starting March 16.
- Xavier University: All courses will transition to online starting March 16.
- Southeastern: All in-person classes moved online beginning March 18. The university said classes will not meet from Friday, March 13, to Tuesday, March 17.
- Southern University and A&M College System (Baton Rouge): All classes will move online March 30. School will be closed March 16-21, Spring Break rescheduled to March 23-27.
- Nicholls State University: Classes will move online beginning Monday and for the foreseeable future, a release from the university said on Thursday.
- Nunez Community College: Classes from March 16 to March 20 have been canceled. Spring break, originally scheduled April 11-17, has been rescheduled to March 23-28.
- Jewish Community Day School: Closed starting Monday, March 16. The school expects to stay closed for two weeks and is putting together what it calls a “distance learning model” for its students.
- Muslim Academy: The Muslim Academy in Gretna will be closed until further notice, the school’s principal Nabil AbuKhader said in an email to WWLTV.